Thursday, April 7, 2011

Your Fiance does WHAT in the offseason?

A couple of weeks ago I was chatting with this girl who is a friend of a friend and I was telling her about all about Jordan and our upcoming wedding. We ended up getting into the whole, "my fiance plays professional hockey", topic and she asked the typical question, "who does he play for?"  I told her all about Finland this year and that he is back in Massachusetts now and about to start his other job.  She proceeded to look at me with a confused look and said "Other Job? Hockey player's have other's jobs"? Yes.  Jordan has a job in the summer working for a golf club in Boston and makes money doing something other than hockey.  Shocked face ensues.

I think many people, like this girl, assume that professional hockey players make millions upon millions of dollars and spend the off season partying and relaxing.  Sure there are players in the NHL that are lucky enough to make that kind of money and live a luxurious lifestyle but that's not the case for most professional hockey player's.  Don't get me wrong, Jordan makes good money for only working about 3 hours a day for 6-8 months a year and gets paid to do something he absolutely loves, but unfortunately it is not enough to support the lifestyle we are accustomed to the other 6 months of the year.  And when I talk about "our lifestyle", I'm not referring to spending money on lavish items like sports cars or other fun toys, (much to my dismay), but rather being able to pay rent and other bills while not having to "struggle".  There is nothing worse then worrying about money so Jordan decided last summer that in it would be best to get a job in the off season to help alleviate financial stress.

Now obviously this isn't the case for many professional hockey players but I think for those guys that do take the plunge and get the dreaded off season job, it's really good for them. Having another job beyond hockey opens up opportunities and gives them an idea of what they might like to focus on after they "retire".

Working at the Golf club has been the best possible off season job for Jordan because it's extremely flexible and exposes him to the networking world.  I love when he comes home and says " I met the CEO of this company and he told me all about how he got started. I think I might really be interested in this type of work so he gave me his business card and told me to call him when I am done playing hockey".  That is literally music to my ears.

It's not that I want him to be done playing hockey right now but it's re-assuring to know he is thinking about the next stage of his life and that he is interested in other careers.   I have no doubt in my mind that he will be good at whatever he puts his mind too and I think he shares the same confidence but for now I think he would like to keep his two "seasonal" jobs. ;o)

Anyone else have experience with "seasonal" jobs?  Hockey wives, do you or your man have a job in the off season?  Do you get the shocked look when you tell other people?  I'd be interested to know!

4 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about posting something on this very topic... the common misconceptions of the hockey life... but I decided I would wait. It is funny to me how many people still think this is a lavish life!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since we live in tinbuktu and most of my family does too we don't know any hockey players.....but I teach so the summer is kinda an off season for me and enjoy having a garden....doing projects w/ my kids....swimming....visiting friends and family.... picnics....b/c come august the fun is over and we must be rushed into a busy life. I'm now following, come by and say hello :)
    {tara} from Undeserving Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I totally hear you on this one. My fiance plays Hockey as well, but not in the NHL. I work as waitress and promoter during the summer and I actually look forward to the off season to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband is fortunate not to have to work in the off-season....I however, get bored if I don't do something. I usually teach group fitness...and have even worked the beer cart at a golf course. Now that I have children, I am home during the summer (aside from teaching group fitness classes)...

    ReplyDelete