Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Are you proud to be a hockey wife or girlfriend?

I'm sure most of the women who follow my blog would say ABSOLUTELY, but the reason I ask is because my opinion has changed over the years.

Let me explain.

When I was entering college at the ripe age of 17 (yes I was younger then most college freshman) I had learned that hockey was "kind of a big deal" at my school because it was the only Division 1 sport at the college and the team was in one of the best conferences in the States.  With that said a couple of days before leaving for school I had a nice little conversation with my sister that went along the lines of

Sister-  "What ever you do STAY AWAY from the hockey players.  They are BAD NEWS".
Me- "Yeah that's what I heard. I'll never get involved with one of "those" guys.  There's no WAY I'll ever let people think I'm a puck slut bunny."

Little did I know that only after a few months into my Freshman year I would be dating and years later be marrying one of "those guys".

Back to the Point.  The fact of the matter is that Hockey player's get a really bad reputation, whether it is warranted or not.  And I tend to find it especially bad with smaller schools like the college I attended.  The problem that comes along with this is that the "bad rep" not only effects the hockey player himself, but also  the significant other.  Now this situation might be different for those hockey couple's who attended larger schools so I would love to hear your comments if your experiences are different then mine, but let me give you an example of what I am talking about.

 After I started dating Jordan I always found my self avoiding the fact that he played hockey. I would always feel awkward when people asked "What is he like in general? What is he into at school? Does he play sports?"  No matter how hard I tried to avoid the topic it would always come out that he played hockey.  Now I know I shouldn't have been "avoiding" those questions because people just wanted to get to know him and who I was spending my time with BUT the reactions I got when I told them he played hockey definitely validated my reasoning for dodging the subject.  Practically every time I told someone I was dating a hockey player I would get "the look".  What's "the look" might you ask? It's when someone looks at you and thinks (or says out loud) "Really? Your dating one of those scumbags? You must be an IDIOT".  You know...those seriously judgemental looks.  Now most of these people who I got "the look" from knew nothing about hockey or the player's themselves but still...it affected how I felt about dating a hockey player.

Fortunately things have changed since I graduated from college and Jordan became a Professional hockey player.  Sure I get "looks" now and again, but they are different kind of looks.  Most of the looks I get now are mostly interested, (sometimes) envious, and still sometimes judgmental but all in all they have gotten so much better.  Maybe it's because I am more mature and don't really care what kind of "looks" I am getting or maybe it's because the hockey WAG stereotype has changed a bit.  Whatever has changed I can honestly say I am proud to tell people about Jordan and let them know that he plays hockey for a living. 


Have your opinions changed fellow hockey WAG's?  Readers who have opinions on hockey relationships/relationships in general? Let me know your thoughts :o)

7 comments:

  1. hillsy you have done such a great job with these blogs! i know jordo is very excited to see you and he cant wait to get back. i miss you both very much and look forward to seeing you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think nowadays people are mostly just interested about this special job your boyfriend is having. And the "looks" get better, the older you are and the longer you have stayed together. =)

    When I was in high school the stereotype couple was a hockey player and a beauty queen. So sometimes I noticed that people were calculating that something didn't quite match with us. I dated a hockey player but I was not the girl who just added lipgloss and giggled. I saw people wondering "wait a minute, she is also pretty good at school...". And that surely didn't match to them! :D

    In my opinion this just means that in our relationship we are both ambitious and hard working in our own fields... And that's why we understand each other so well and can be proud of each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Brock, thanks Darlin!! Can't wait to see him too...and it's been FAR tooo long since I've seen you!! July can't come soon enough :o)

    @Tiia, Thank you so much for sharing! Glad you broke the stereotype at your school...your Beautiful AND smart!! Very proud to see other hockey wives out there who are ambitious and can support their man at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had my own career along my husbands so maybe that has been a reason why people havent looked at me "that way". And people are getting surpprised when I pay or buy something for my own money! There is so many superficial "goldiggers" that comes with this hockeybuisness so sadly I have to say that I have some understanding for how people in think about us WAGS:)But its our "Job" to prove them wrong!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen to this! We are stronger women than anyone outsite this sport will ever know.
    Thanks so much for linking up to the Storytellers Blog Hop. You rock for doing so :) And I hope yall have a great weekend. He should be home soon, right!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forget what people think, you can't help who you love. If you could, it wouldn't suck when it didn't work out.

    I never knew anything about any hockey players, and I've had a couple hockey players in some of my classes at school. the two I became fairly decent friends with said I met the nicest 2 on the team...this means sometimes they like to give themselves a bad rep.

    I'm glad you're proud now though!

    Have a great weekend, thanks for sharing!
    Mallori
    I came from TexaGermaNadian's blog hop :)
    http://nushkoboaiukli-chokvshweki.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have any experience with this, but I never really thought that before, so maybe the stereotypes aren't as bad as they used to be!
    Meri
    merigoesround.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete