Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bridal Bod and Work out Wednesday

I haven't really been involved with too many blog hops before but when FTLOB introduced a new "get fit" feature I thought it would be the perfect way to gain some new tips and share with other's what I have been doing to get in shape for my wedding/over all health.



So first let me give you some personal background information:

I have never been a "skinny" girl. I've always had the athletic type body..i.e. pretty muscular, decently tall, and definitely not "small boned".  Luckily I've used my body type to my advantage by playing a ton of sports and specifically, excelling at soccer.  There is no way I would have been a college athlete if I was 5'2, 100 lbs with my style of play.  I also was never super concerned with my diet while I was at school because I burned so many calories while playing soccer that I could drink like a sailor and eat like a linebacker.

But then college was over and the "post grad" weight hit.  I never knew how much weight I had actually gained because I've never been into scales BUT it was definitely a decent amount.  I had stopped playing soccer but continued my college eating/drinking habits which ultimately led to my realization that I was becoming a fat mess.  Here's what I did about it.

Step 1. Get back into soccer
I hadn't played in over a year and it certainly showed physically, but mentally as well.  I understand the fear of hockey player's "hanging up their skates" because it's the only thing they have known for their entire lives.  It really messes you up when you go from playing every weekend from when you are 6 years old to when you are 23 and then suddenly stop all together.  So after taking a year off I joined a women's Fall and Spring team, and then this year I also joined a co-ed indoor team.  I can now say I am back in the full swing of things!


Step 2. Modify my diet
I don't follow any crazy type of diets....I just eat a lot healthier than I did.  I try to stay away from carbs as much as I can but don't cut them out entirely.  I also eat desert and red meat and some fatty foods.  The key is to eat it in moderation, eat A LOT of protein, and choose "smarter" options meaning sugar free/diet foods.

Step 3. Quit drinking so much!
Ok I make it sound like I drank every night of the week but really it was how much I was drinking in one sitting.  Simple truth about Hillary: I can drink beers for days.  I would go over to my friends house on the weekend and have a "casual" 6 beers, and then most of the time go out and drink on top of that. Probably not normal and I finally realized that I was drinking over 1000 calories in one night, nevermind the late night munchies I would have after.  My excuse used to be "well if I don't eat supper it will make up for it". Wrong. A. that's not healthy B. your still DRINKING half of the calories and average sized woman is supposed to consume daily.
So this ended up being a decently easy thing to fix.  Instead of beer I now drink wine, (which I can only have like 2 glasses before I start slurring haha), and mixed "diet" drinks at the bar (bacardi and diet, vodka soda).

All three of those steps have made a serious impact on my overall health but to push things in over drive I have been hitting the gym. HARD.  I have been mixing cardio and free weight training and have been trying to get into the gym 4-5 times a week.  I'll dedicate a whole other post about my actual routine in case people want to try it out but wanted to let people know that I am introducing BOXING into my workout plan.

My roommate from college, (who was also a college athelete), are going to our first women's boxing class tonight! I am super excited but nervous at the same time.  Now I don't think this will be "Million Dollar Baby" type isshhh but I know that it will be challenging.

I have decided that if I blog about my workout's it will hold me accountable and will force me to get to my prime bridal bod.  So check back each week to hear about my progress and to maybe learn some new tips or ideas! I've got PLENTY :o)

6 comments:

  1. have fun with the boxing..that will be an amazing workout!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im all ears:) I need some inspiration to my Beach -11!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog! Following via The weekend wander. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - I always had a skinny body (but I lacked breasts so it was by no means perfect).

    Then I stopped smoking, started my bipolar meds and gained several dress sizes - right before my wedding. I was the heaviest I've ever been on that most wonderful day - it made no difference whatsoever. Enjoy the day for what it is - and not for what you think it should be. It's not all about what you look like - though that's important. It's about your love for each other. Good luck. Im new here form the hop - and following. Shah from wordsinsync.blogspot.com X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! I'm glad FTLOB helped get you motivated. Your wedding day is the most fabulous day of your life :) You want to feel absolutely beautiful. Good luck on your journey! (here from the FTLOB hop)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey guys! Sorry for not getting back to you right away...mini blog hiatus :o)

    @Vanessa, I LOVED BOXING! I totally reccomend it to anyone who is looking to switch it up!

    @Mrs K, got another post coming at you tomorow ;o)

    @Rita, Welcome! Glad you found me!

    @shah warton, You are soo right! Sometimes I get caught up in the "image" of it all. I know it will be the best day no matter what size I am. Thanks for stopping by and for your words of wisdom!

    @Becky, Thanks! I think FTLOB is awesome in general, and this get fit feature is a great way to get some tips from different bloggers. Hopefully by staying fit I'll feel/look great on the big day!

    ReplyDelete