Tuesday, March 15, 2011

And it's Back to Long Distance....

But only for two weeks this time ;o)

What I have failed to tell the blogger world is a little info about my future hubs and our long-long-long distance relationship.  Let me break it down:

Jordan is Canadian and moved to St. Louis when he was just a "wee lad", (insert with Irish accent for St. Paddy's day), and has family living in both places.  I am born and raised in Boston (well really a small cow town in the burbs but we'll keep things easy). And all of my family lives here.


We went to the same college in Massachusetts and started dating our Freshman year. So for the first two years of school he would be in MA from September-May and then back to St. Louis in the summer....doesn't sound so bad right?

Look at these babies circa 2004

It wasn't...until the dark years came (such a drama queen haha).

Jordan decided to go pro our Junior and Senior year which meant he was in Michigan/Albany/Georgia/wherever..I can't keep it straight...from September- May and then St. Louis for the summer. He kept this living situation up for another year which tallied our Long-Long-Long distance relationship at three years.  Looking back on it I think we were probably nuts for doing that but I'm glad we did  because it shows that we are a strong couple and can probably get through anything...queue the corny music in the background haha.

Hahahahah Please read this title!

Last summer was the first time we had lived together for a long period of time and going into it I had wondered if we would only be "good" is a long distance couple.  Our Freshman and Sophomore years of college had been so long ago that I couldn't help but question if things had changed.  Would he annoy the shit out of me if we were together 24/7 for 7 months out of the year?

Well the answer was yes, but it wasn't a "I want to kill you and can't stand looking at you" kind of annoyance (thank god), but rather a "you are annoying the hell out of me right now but your pretty funny/cute so I'll forget about it in 20 minutes", kind of thing haha. You get what I'm preachin?

So we ended up having an awesome summer together filled with great times and lots of memories but I knew there was a void in Jordan's heart because his friends and family were all the way back in St. Louis/Canada.

Which brings me back to our current short long distance relationship.  Jordan is visiting in St. Louis for the next two weeks and will be catching up with his family who he has not seen in a year and half.  He is a huge family man and is so excited to see everyone. I have to say I am sooo happy for him but I will miss him terribly!
Luckily he'll be back in no time and our Long-Long-Long distance relationship will be over for good as I will be traveling with him next season. 

But being together for the long haul raises new questions....Where are we going to live next summer? Which family will we visit during the holidays? Where are going going to settle once he is done playing hockey?  All questions we both think/stress about on a daily basis but I at least take comfort knowing we'll be tackling them together :o)  Any of you reader's out there have experience with long distance relationships or have trouble splitting time between families? I'd love to hear your stories!

4 comments:

  1. I totally understand the whole situation you are in! Me and my hubby have spent our seven years together in a loooooong distance relationship.
    He has always spent the summers with me with exception for visiting his family for a couple of weeks every year. But since we got married two years ago we always to together everywhere during off season..Its been tough times but in the end we have managed to keep it together and it has made us stronger and our marriage is rock solid:))And I think your relationship (upcoming marriage) will only benefit from what you have experienced so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did long distance for about... 3 years I think it was. Then I moved to MA with him when went for college/hockey and it was hard to be away from family but sooo worth it to be together. Luckily we are from the same hometown, but now his parents are seriously talking about moving to Florida! How the heck are we ever supposed to spend our 3 months of summer between FL AND WI? We can't move between 3 different places each year! and what about when we have children? ahhh, the questions have been swirling through my mind ever since they brought it up! Let me know if you figure out a good system ;) and yay for you two finally being together! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Mrs. K, YOU ROCK! 7 years is a long time and I'm glad you guys have made it through your loooooong distance relationsip! Hope you guys have an AWESOME off season this year, you both deserve it!

    @CMD, I HEAR YOU GIRL! Throw in trying to find a summer job (which I will have to do, hopefully you don't have to add it to your list), and it makes things that much more difficult. Jordan and I have tossed around the idea of spending ALL of the holidays (once he is retired?) with one family, and living throughout the year with the other. It's going to be really hard deciding between the two though. I suggest signing up for frequent flier miles...we are going to have to!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it's love then the distance doesn't matter!! You find a way to make it work!

    ReplyDelete