Monday, October 25, 2010

A little clarification

So my sister and brother in law were over the house yesterday to watch the Patriots game and we were catching up and got talking about the blog and what was new with Jordan etc..  John (my brother in law) started laughing at me about some of my posts that have interviews with Jordan in them because of the broken English.  For instance:


Did you get a number of deals in Europe?- I got offers from a few different countries and different leagues. Some of the contracts were rahakkaampia than others. The most important thing was that I get to play in an exclusive series and I get a lot of responsibility. My agent recommended River Boys, and after talking on the phone with Jukka I was convinced my desire to become a river boy.



He was like what the heck is "rahakkaampia"? and whats with the last sentance "I was convinced my desire to become a river boy"? It makes no sense.  Haha he is absolutely right and I'm sure most of you have been thinking the same thing.   I mean thank god for google-translate but JEESH! I can barely read it when it is in English nevermind Finnish! 

I just thought I would clear things up and let you know that NO, I am not translating this myself and YES, I completely understand if you don't get what's going on in half of these posts haha. 

Also, this conversation sparked my curiosity about the Finnish language in general and LET ME TELLYOU it is the CRAZIEST thing I have ever heard!  I usually brush off comments Jordan makes about the language because I thought he was just being lazy or wasn't interested in learning Finnish...For instance I asked him the other day to teach me some words that he knew but he told me he had only learned two words fo far: "Moro" (which I think means goodbye or thank you), and a swear word (not suitable to reference on this blog) that he uses on the ice.  I really couldn't believe that he had LITERALLY only learned two words and only one of them truly being legitimate haha. He has been in Finland for almost 3 months, you can't blame me for being skeptical haha.  Anyway, I have totally changed my opinion on the matter because after watching some video interviews of people on his team I have decided that I will be LUCKY to learn/understand even one word while I am in there visiting.  Just so you can all understand where I am coming from I am posting this YouTube link that has the Finnish interviews of the players I have been watching. 

Good luck to those dare to who watch because I certainly could not make heads or tails of it!

1 comment:

  1. I came across your blog on here, I don't want to be a creepy person who you don't know commenting, but I just have to! We are currently living in Finland (we're American and my husband is playing hockey over here as well) and I know EXACTLY what you mean! The translation is terrible... although I think he means "moi" instead of "moro" (moi= hello, moi moi= goodbye) :) After almost 3 months here, I haven't learned much more than that, and "kiitos" (thank you)... haha. Will you be heading to Finland at all this season?!

    ReplyDelete