Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Big Goodbye

Well it is that time of year again...Hockey season.  Jordy has decided to play in the Finland pro-league for Jokipojat.  Not quite sure how to pronounce that team name yet but it's all a work in progress.  This will be a major change for Jordan, me, and everyone in his life but hopefully it is a positive one.  There is a 7 hour time difference between Finland and the states/Canada which is definitely challenging so far.  Jordan called me this morning as I was headed to work and I said "what are you doing up so early" and he had to remind me that it was 3:00 pm his time and that he had already been to a morning skate, had lunch with the coach, took a tour of Joensuu, and was headed to his afternoon skate. This blew my mind since I am NOT a morning person and couldn't comprehend all the things he had done so far when I had just woken up and not had my coffee. 


Getting used to the time difference will be a struggle but luckily he has skype set up and and he can call me in between skates/practices while I am work.  I'm also going to start bringing my lap top to work so I can actually see him when he calls and I am on my break.  It will definitely take me some time to get used to saying  goodnight to him when it will only be 3 pm here.


Other than the time difference things are pretty much the same as they have been for the past years when Jordy goes to a new team and plays.  Very busy and tired during pre-season but in good spirits.  He told me that all of the guys on the team seem very nice and that is roommate speaks English pretty well so it should be a somewhat smooth transition.  He also told me that the coach assured him that he is living in a nice apartment and that everything will be set up when he gets there.  He also said that he is going to a press conference today which he is excited about and that there were a bunch of fans at the rink to watch him play yesterday.


All in all it sounds like Jordan is doing well over there so far and hopefully he will be even better when hockey starts.  I am still a little sad that he is gone after spending a great summer together but I'm going to keep busy with the wedding and this blog which should keep my mind off of it.  I decided that a blog would be a good way for us all to stay connected with Jordy while he is over there.  I have put links on here which will get you to Jordy's team website, his stats, a Finnish to English translator, a time converter and other helpful tips and information.  Please check back often for this one stop shop blog for everything Finland and Jordy & Hill!



2 comments:

  1. Aww Hill! I almost just cried at work reading this! I am happy that it will be a smooth transition for Jordan with the English speaking roommate! Thats good! Thank god for modern technology and skype! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Skype is a GOD's SEND! Love you too babycakes!

    ReplyDelete